Canada is one of, if not the best place that foreign nationals choose to work. This is obvious because the country has a huge economy, it is safe to live in, and its wages are very attractive. In this article we shall be discussing the job visa that can allow you to live and work in Canada and also, you shall be guided about the documents required of you as well as the application procedure. Now, let’s get down to it.
Canada Work Permit
What’s Canada Work Visa
A Canada Work Visa is a permit issued by the government to eligible foreign nationals to live and work in the country. There are more than 200,000 jobs available for foreign citizens, but to be able to work in the country, they will need a permit and the permit depends on the nature of their job. Some countries are exempted from collecting the visa before being allowed to work, due to their bilateral relationship with Canada. The visa isn’t the same as a resident visa, it is rather a permit to work.
What are the Types of Canada Work Visa?
There are basically two types of Canada work visa. They include:
1. Employer-specific Work Visa: This visa allows you to work in Canada with just a specific employer that employed you. This means that, it is a visa that can only be obtained after which you might have got a job with the country. The employer must have given you a letter of a Labour Market Impact Assessment or an offer of employment number before you can apply for the visa.
2. Open Work Permit: This visa type allows a foreign national to work in Canada for any employer. It doesn’t require obtaining a Labour Market Impact Assessment or Employment Number before one is eligible to apply. An applicant might be denied the visa if the job they are going for is one of the jobs not accepted by the laws of Canada like striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages.
Basic Requirements for Canada Work Visa
- Applicants must be able to prove to an officer that they will leave Canada when the visa expires.
- Applicants must have evidence of employment from a Canadian employer
- Applicants must be able to show that they have enough money to take care of themselves and their dependents.
- Applicants must be able to obey the law and order of Canada
- Applicants must be in good health condition
- Applicants must be ready to work for eligible works and employers
What are the Documents Required for Application of Canada Work Visa
- The documents needed for the application for a Canada Work visa are:
- An international passport and other travel documents
- Passport photographs (at least two and photos of accompanying family members)
- Evidence of qualifications and experience
- Evidence that you meet the requirements for your prospective job
- Certificate D’Acceptation du Quebec (if required)
- Proof of relationships with all spouses, children or common-law partners
- Temporary Resident Visa Form (for citizens of countries that needed permanent residence to work in Canada)
- Certificate D’Acceptation du Quebec, (if applicable).
Steps to Apply for Canada Work Visa
Canadian Work visa can be applied online as well as at the consulate or embassy. However, these days, online application is recommended as it is fast and convenient for applicants. The application steps are as follows:
Step 1: Get Employment Evidence
The first step in applying for a work visa is to ensure that one is eligible to apply and knows the type of work visa he/she is qualified for. After that, you need to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment issued by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) from the employer. This is often needed for most work visa cases. Also, in addition, the applicant must have got an employment letter from the employer as well.
Step 2: Gather all Requirements Documents and Forms
Now, having got the said employment evidence from the employer, you need to gather all of these with the required documents aforementioned and ensured that everything is intact with copies.
Step 3: Sign up/Create Account with IRCC
You will now need to log on to; https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/apply.html to create an account online with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). This account can be used for applying for any sort of visa in Canada. If you have already created an account with IRCC, you don’t need to create another account. You will need an email address, phone number, address and other personal information when creating the account.
Step 4: Apply for Work Visa
Having created your online account, you can now proceed and apply for the type of work visa you wish to get by logging into your IRCC account. You will be required to provide some information related to your application which you must dutifully respond to. After you are done, ensure you print the confirmation page.
After responding to all information required from you during the application, you then need to submit.
Step 5: Pay Application Processing Fee
Now, you are to pay application fees using means of payment acceptable to the country you are in (if you are outside Canada). In most cases, the application fee is $155 for each person and the fee for a group of performing artists consisting of more than three persons is capped at $465. Ensure you print out the payment evidence as well.
Step 6: Submit Application
When you are done making the payment, you need to wait for at least some hours, before proceeding for submission of the application. This can be done online or through Visa application centres (VACs). The VACs are private companies that have formal contracts with the Canadian government to process Visas. Some of these centres accepts submission by email or courier services.
Step 7: Wait for Collection
After you might submit the application, you need to wait for some period, often two to three months before you can be able to receive the application. In the meantime, you can track the application on your IRCC account to know the status. When it is ready, you will be notified in order to collect the visa.
Conclusion: Canada Work permit is of two types which largely depend on the nature of employment. There are streams of jobs under the types of visa that tell Which exact visa fits the job one is seeking. To get a work visa, one needs to have an immediate family living in the country and employment evidence. The work visa is a temporary one unless the person is qualified for permanent residence. Highly skilled labour is more prioritized than the others. A country is overall a dream place for all workers.